Maralyn's Updates

Friday, July 06, 2007

Cautiously Optimistic

Wednesday July 4, 2007

Someone wrote today asking if my diagnosis had been positively confirmed yet.

The neurologist says that all of my signs and tests point toward ALS; however, there is no definitive test to positively confirm ALS. The only way to know for sure is to wait and see if the disease progresses, and it’s too early to say.

It's a bit confusing, though, because some of the early symptoms are the same as hypothyroidism, and my family has a history of having thyroid issues that don't show up on blood tests. So, even though my thyroid labs look normal, I have 19 of the 21 symptoms. (The only two I DON’T have are depression and tiredness. ☺)

So, after telling us that he was quite sure that I had ALS, I asked the neurologist if I could try the thyroid medication to see if it might make a difference. He said that I could, and he immediately wrote out the prescription. I've been on that medication now for 12 days and several of the symptoms of hypothyroidism have dramatically improved. The most hopeful ones are the ones that overlap with ALS, like my swallowing is back to normal, and my slurred speech is gradually improving (meaning that I don’t always sound “drunk” ☺)

All of that to say that we still don't know. We are "cautiously optimistic" but only time will tell if I have ALS or hypothyroidism. Meanwhile, I feel really well, and that's weird with such a heavy diagnosis hanging over our heads.

Today Paul and Kristin came from Pennsylvania for four days to celebrate Independence Day with us here at David and Rhonda's. That means that our whole family is together, and I can assure you that this is the best medicine on the planet! Four grandbabies under four create the sweetest kind of chaos, and I am loving every minute!

Please continue to pray that God's perfect will will be done in my body. He is a good God, and I want him to get the glory he deserves through all of this!
There’s not one doubt in my mind that He can heal me—no matter what I have!

I feel absolutely buoyed up by your prayers and my confidence in Him is FIRM!
Thank you for praying!

7 Comments:

Blogger barbe said...

Hi Maralyn,
Just got this blog from the church today and knew I had to write ASAP. Your words are encouraging as you face the unknown. (I know how I reacted when they told me that my cancer had only a 25% chance of survival.) Yup, I lost it for an hour or so and then the Lord gave me peace and a feistiness that proved to carry me through a whole bunch of bad days. BUT that was in 1989 and His healing has been my blessing since then! PTL! He loves a gentle heart and feisty attitude ... keep it up. Our prayers are with you as you wake and as you sleep.
Always know that you're loved in Wisconsin!
Barb Ervin

9:14 AM  
Blogger Antti Jääskeläinen said...

dear maralyn,

i just arrived here to iceland last night and in a few hours im preaching to the youth here. i feel i should preach to them about death. this passage came to me as i was preparing 1. Cor. 15:50-55.

i hope it also speaks to you.

-Antti

10:41 AM  
Blogger Quad2 said...

Maralyn,
Just a note to tell you that I love you, I'm praying for you and anything I can do I will.

Your "favorite" sister-in-law,
Nancy :)

12:02 PM  
Blogger Kathleem Barger said...

Hey gal,I just got done reading my homework for our God Chasers meeting,tomorrow night,The two extrordinary women we will talk about are Rahab and The Samaritan Woman.What Faith!!You are an extraordinary woman of Faith.We will pray for you,in our group.Love you,Chum

3:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Maralyn,
It's Linda Smith from Ann Arbor. We heard from my sister Bette Sue about your diagnosis. We will keep praying for you.
Loved seeing the whole family - wow 4 grand babies - you are blessed. You all look so good.
Steve and I will be praying for you.
Love ...Linda

9:42 PM  
Blogger jaschmiddy said...

Awesome reading your blog, Maralyn.What a beautiful spirit of waiting on God and trusting in Him for His will to be done. Believing with you for His healing touch in your body.

Judy

10:06 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Hi Maralyn,
It is so great to hear that you are so optimistic and positive despite everything.

We all indeed are devoting to God in prayers !! And we all know that God loves you and will heal you if that is His will.

It is difficult to understand why this all is happening, but what I have learnt to understand over the years is that every situation that God puts you in has a meaning, He has a plan for you, whether it is good or bad, everything trial is a blessing !!

You are blessed Maralyn and we are all blessed to know you !!

Sara

5:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home