Maralyn's Updates

Friday, July 20, 2007

Divine Appointment

Her name was Kris, and she was my speech pathologist yesterday; but to me she seemed more like an angel. I believe our appointment was divine.

She was about my age, an incredible teacher, warm, caring--just a lovely person; and that would have been enough. But she was also very knowledgable about my three possible conditions. Two of them she had personally experienced (thyroid and acid reflux)and the third (ALS) she had experienced vicariously through many of her patients. She spent 90 minutes with me (!!) helping me sort out the confusing overlapping symptoms, explaining many things that I had suspected, but never had confirmed. I walked away from our appointment praising God from the depths of my soul. I will praise you, O Lord, among the peoples, and I will sing praises to you among the nations. For your mercy is great above the heavens, and your truth reaches to the clouds. (Ps. 108:3-4)

At a certain point during the 90 minutes we walked to the lab where two technicians, one physician, and Kris watched on the x-ray screen as I swallowed a variety of things (thin liquid, thick liquid, pudding, and pudding with cookie crumbs in it.) The bottom line was that my swallowing was NORMAL. Kris concluded, "You don't swallow like an ALS patient." She quickly added that she wasn't saying that I didn't have ALS, but that she was pleasantly surprised to see that everything looked normal with my swallowing mechanism, because this is usually one of the most problematic areas. Be exalted, O God, above the heavens, and your glory above all the earth... (Ps. 108:5)

A few minutes later when I talked to my neurologist, he expressed surprise and delight that my swallowing was normal. Four weeks ago, on the day of the ALS diagnosis, my pulmonary function (lungs) also tested NORMAL. The doctor agreed that both of these things were very good signs. Not that he was withdrawing his diagnosis of ALS, (he made that very clear!!) but that he was pleased that there were not yet any signs of deterioration in these two vital functions. That your beloved may be delivered, save with your right hand, and hear me. (Ps. 108:6)

Then I showed him the list of thyroid symptoms that have improved during this month of taking synthroid (thyroid medication). He was very pleased and agreed to refer me to the group of cutting-edge endocrinologists at University of Wisconsin Medical Center in Madison. My case is obviously unusual (with normal thyroid labs)so he wanted me to have some of the best doctors to help me sort it out.

I want to thank you (emphatically!!) for the encouraging words, powerful scriptures, uplifting books, and heart-rending songs that you have sent me--reminding me of your support and God's faithfulness.

And, you know what? Even though it's too early to see where all of this is going, I realize that we don't have to know yet...because we know the one whose hand we're holding. He is the one who arranges divine (and encouraging!!) appointments.

O God, my heart is steadfast! (Ps. 108:1)


mm

11 Comments:

Blogger Dean Merrill said...

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!

What an incredible, wonderful report!!!!! And I loved how at intervals you put "your" special Scripture verses that fed your spirit during your devotions during the week of the "diagnosis." They applied THEN, and they apply NOW & ALWAYS, praise the Lord.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Dr. James O. Lowell said...

My dear friend Maralyn,

God is at work to will and to do His good purpose in your life! We continue to pray for you each day and ask God for a miracle. You are loved!!!

Jeanne

10:21 AM  
Blogger Antti Jääskeläinen said...

hey maralyn,

have you heard of a book called "Tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Albom?

-Antti

11:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Maralyn and Jim, this is James and Erna. You have been in our prayers daily even through struggles. You are missed and loved over here and as I read all over the world. Wow.. look how many lives you have touched including this marriage and each one of us individually.Thank God for you and using you to touch so many lives with His amazing love. You have become a great instrument for God, me and Erna thank you from the bottom of our hearts... and to read this report and see your strength through your words is really touching. It make our hearts sing with joy. Jim and you are something special to so many people so keep on doing what you are doing! Many hugs and kisses from Erna and James!!! Love you guys!!

1:00 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

oh maralyn, tears were pouring out while reading this. You are something... so encouraging to see how you trust in God through all of this hardship. We love you. Praise God!

2:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Maralyn,

Richard and I are praying for you daily as we make our way to South Carolina and on to Mass.

May you know that God's love and comfort are very near right now.
Love,
Sherry

10:35 PM  
Blogger Pastor Ron said...

Maralyn,

We believe this:
Then they cried out to the LORD in their trouble; He saved them out of their distresses.
He sent His word and healed them, And delivered them from their destructions.Psalm 107:19,20
Ron and Debbie

12:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:27 AM  
Blogger Benni Alexander said...

Dear Maralyn,

Wonderful news - we were expecting it.

This is just the start of the miracles that you shall see - whatever be the road. In Him, you SHALL come out victorious and completely healed and there shall be no scars. That we believe.

The book of the prophet Isiah says the greatest price has already been paid with his body. Every lash on his body, every drop of blood went towards this healing. Your healing is your right in Him.

Remember: there are lots of people around the continually interceding and upholding you in prayers! Your testimony is also our testimony of of God's love and our faith.

Love and prayers,
Ben & Nupur

6:08 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Great news !!
It´s so great to see how God is working on you !
We´ll keep praying for you!

Sara

11:38 PM  
Blogger wayne and Kathy S. said...

Great reports Maralyn! Thank God! You are a great witness showing your trust in God. It is so evident in everything you say and how you live each day. You are a wonderful example for the rest of us. I'll call early Sept AFTER you appts. mentioned. You and Jim are always in our prayers. Love, Wayne and Kathy

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home