Maralyn's Updates

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Silver Edged Clouds

I just want to say that physically I’m still the same. That’s a praise report and a thank you for all of your prayers. I can feel them—for sure!

I’m thoroughly captivated by the Chronicles of Narnia, and I’m already halfway through book #5 of 7. If you’ve seen the movies or read the books, you know that Jesus is portrayed through Aslan, a powerful but loving lion. The author C.S. Lewis masterfully portrays Christ’s intervention and guidance in our lives. Several times during the reading I’ve been moved to tears as I’ve been able to look back and see how God took difficult events in our life and turned them for good.

This illness is a good example. I can say for certain that I’m a better person than I was before the ALS diagnosis. I’m more focused. I’m more content. I’m more dependent on God. I’m more peaceful. Some really good things have happened deep within my spirit.

Scripture says it clearly: “And we know that in ALL things, God works for the good of those who love him. (Romans 8:28)” Wow!

As human beings, we jump to conclusions about what is BAD or GOOD. The truth is that things that look bad often end up producing much good in our lives.

I dare you to write down the three most difficult things in your life…you know, the “bad” ones. Then examine them. What did you learn? What opportunities resulted? How did you grow?

I’m finding that this whole realization is causing me to pray for people differently. Instead of praying my usual, “Oh God, please take this away!” I’m more likely now to pray, “Oh God, please help them learn valuable lessons through this experience.”

In a nutshell, I’m learning that we mustn’t be so quick to label the events of our lives! Very often there’s a silver lining to the dark cloud.

I have a special request of you.

I can see from the map on Google Analytics that you, my blog readers, are all around the world. You’re in USA, Canada, Honduras, Argentina, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Ireland, Great Britain, Denmark, Estonia, Lithuania, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Spain, Germany, Italy, Austria, Hungary, Greece, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Congo, Kenya, India, Vietnam, Cambodia, Scotland, Thailand, Indonesia, Australia, Malaysia, Morocco, South Africa, and Kyrgyztan.

I’m thinking that in all your cultures there is probably a saying or proverb to match the one in American English that says:

“Every cloud has a silver lining.” It simply means that every difficulty has also a brighter side.

Would you be willing to write me and tell me one of those sayings that you know from a culture other than USA? You can either send them to me through the comments on this site, or e-mail them to me at annies_recipes@yahoo.com. I’d love to receive dozens of them. Thanks for helping!

mm

P.S. Want to have a look at my grandkids? They're one of the silver linings in my life right now.

Here are Paul and Kristin's two pretty little ladies (Elliana 2 1/2 years old and Jolene 10 months)


And here are David & Rhonda's three handsome little guys (Reuben 5, Levi 3 and Micah 1)

4 Comments:

Blogger heidi said...

Hi Maralyn
This is Heidi from Finland, remembering and praying for you. I found this blog thru Jason Lepojarvi and will link it to mine (its in finnish) so that i can update on everything that is going w your life,
with hugs and kisses
heidi

3:29 PM  
Blogger Tomi said...

Hi Maralyn,
I am a member of Portview Christian Center in Port Washington, WI. Our church has supported you for years, and I love your blogs. This doesn't exactly match your request, but our founding pastor of 30 years, Paul Hanson, just retired. Before he left he taught a series of messages to encourage us using the slogan "The Best is Yet to Come." Two weeks before he left our youth pastor and his wife announced they were offered a position in Iowa. We are in the process of having T-shirts made for all who want them which say "The Best is Yet to Come" as we all need encouragement. Perhaps that is a slogan you can use also.
Tomi Fay

11:30 PM  
Blogger Danny said...

Hello Maralyn! Just a short note to say that one country was missing from the list, Tanzania. We are still living and working here (now a family of four!) and we haven't forgotten you. Keeping you in our prayer. Love, Daniel, Sirkku, Benjamin and Daniella

1:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Maralyn,
I was touched by your blog and account of how you are doing. You have been in my prayers.

Your grandchildren are adoreable. Dave looks the same as when he lived with us in Ann Arbor.

You are a gem. Thank God for the ministry He has given you in this time.

Love...Linda

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home