Maralyn's Updates

Friday, July 27, 2007

Blindfolded

Did you ever walk through a maze with your eyes blindfolded? On my 53rd birthday I was captured by two mischevious students and led around the Bible school campus with my eyes blindfolded. They tramped me through a Finnish swamp, a crowded attic, and a thick forest; then they put a helmet on my head and drove me down a country road on the back of motorcycle--all blindfolded. In other circumstances it could have been scary, but I knew that those students loved me--so I trusted them.

That's how I feel now. I'm blindfolded, but I'm holding the hand of someone I trust, so it's okay!

Wednesday I got a telephone call from the clinic saying that I should go right away to the clinic to have blood drawn. I went, and the next day I got a call from the Endocrinology Department at University of Madison Hospital. They told me that my blood indicated that I should stop taking the thyroid medication right away. My TSH had dropped to 0, and that was not a good thing, the nurse said. She explained that that didn't necessarily mean that I didn't have thyroid issues, but Synthroid obviously wasn't the answer for my body. At first I was stunned! I had so hoped that hypothyroidism was my problem, and synthroid the solution.

Then I realized that it wasn't the medication, the doctor, nor a certain diagnosis that I should hang onto, but rather the hand of God. He's unchangeable.

Immediately I went to the CD that God miraculously provided through Linda and Gayland (a neat story of its own)and,with tears stinging my eyes, I read through the words again--just to remind myself whose hand I'm hanging onto.

Listen to these words! And if you have the Phillips, Craig & Dean CD Let the Worshippers Arise, put it in and listen to song #3 "You Are God Alone."

You are not a god created by human hands
You are not a god dependant on any mortal man
You are not a god in need of anything we can give
By your plan, that's just the way it is

(cho.)
You are God alone, from before time began
You were on your throne; you are God alone
And right now in the good times and bad
You are on your throne; you are God alone.


You're the only God whose power none can contend
You're the only God whose name and praise will never end
You're the only God who's worthy of everything we can give
You are God and that's just the way it is

Unchangeable
Unshakeable
Unstoppable
That's what you are!



We're going to Finland for the month of August to pack up our things and say goodbye to our wonderful friends at the Bible school and EICF (our international church.) We'll be back to Wisconsin by September 4, then I'm scheduled for appointments with the endocrinologist on September 12 and the neurologist on September 18...

..But it's not the hand of the doctors that I'm reaching for, it's the hand of the One who is unchangeable, unshakeable, unstoppable because even though I feel like I'm blindfolded, I'm clinging to the hand of my trustworthy God, so everything is okay!

mm

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your words, Maralyn! You are such an inspiration to me and to many others of a person who trusts and clings to God. What a powerful image of being blindfolded and being led by one you know loves you. I am praying for you. Thanks for your post.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Kathy your "in-law" said...

Maralyn,

I know this was a blow to you, but once again, you've encouraged me as you place your trust in God once again. We're praying for you as are many others.

See you in October to share those granddaughters!

Kathy

3:05 PM  
Blogger T-P. & H. L. said...

i have prayed for you before these issues and i will continue praying, this does not change anything. i have been thinking of you with warm and grateful mind because you have been so important persons (both of you) in my life. how is jim? i'm a bit worried about him...

11:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello Maralyn! I just met Pilkku at Iso Kirja yesterday and I asked about you and Jim--she told me about this blog and coming home I immediately logged in. I'll never forget the impact you had on my life; you and Jim were really important people for me at the time in the English Line. I'm praying for you. I'll try to make it to the EL reunion in August; I'd love to meet you! (We came back to Finland just 3 months ago after 2 years in South East Asia.)

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home