Maralyn's Updates

Monday, October 06, 2008

The Gift? of Suffering

When you’re sad who’s the person you like to go to? My guess is it’s someone who’s been seasoned by pain themselves. I’ve found that people who’ve had some hard times are the best counselors because they know how it feels to hurt. And they care.

That’s the stream for today, but first a report from my doctor’s appointment on Friday:

My neurologist confirmed what I already knew—that the ALS is advancing in my body. I’m weaker than three months ago. I’m losing lung capacity--down from 100% to 68%. And yet he reiterated that the progression of the disease is slower than usual. At the end he said, “Well, I’ll see you in three months!” It’s funny but that statement was a lift to both Jim and me. (smile)

On a practical level I can barely speak…eating is tenuous…and nights can be long as I work to dislodge the phlegm that collects in my windpipe. My walking is unstable enough that I’ve begun to use a walker. In short, my situation is challenging!

This week someone introduced me as “suffering with ALS,” and I realized once again that I don’t identify with that image. I guess I think of suffering as having excruciating pain (I have none) or severe mental anguish (my mind is peaceful).

But a few months ago, I hugged my friend who has MS and lightly said, ”Hello, my fellow sufferer!” He said, “Well, I don’t really think of myself as suffering…after all, nobody has pierced my side with a sword.”

His response stayed in my mind because it’s true! What we’re going through is nothing compared to Christ’s suffering.

But as I’ve been pondering, I’ve realized that everybody on earth suffers from something. Pain is inherent in this world. We get so used to the pressure of sadness all around us that it begins to feel normal. So even though our suffering is different than Christ’s, we do suffer. All of us.

I admit that Jim and I are suffering. We had really wanted to spend these golden years together…continuing to minister side-by-side…enjoying our family…and celebrating our love. So yes, we are suffering.

This week I flashed back to one year ago when I was on my way to see my new grandbaby Jolene in Pennsylvania. It was my brother Daniel who picked me up at the airport, and it was onto him that I dumped my frustration about the “death sentence” of ALS. He wisely counseled me to accept the fact that I was being called to suffer. (See my blog entry “Through” November 3, 2007.) Daniel was here visiting us this week and we talked again about the fact that God must have called me to this ministry for a reason.

With all of these thoughts sailing through my head, it’s not surprising that God illuminated II Corinthians 1:3-5.

“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.”


As I read those verses I could visualize a garden fountain like those on European castle grounds. They usually have at least three tiers. The one on top spills out onto the second one, and that one spills onto the third…

The top is like Christ’s suffering, but his suffering overflows as comfort.

You and I are the second tier. We suffer but we draw comfort from the fact that Christ suffered, too. He’s been there so he knows, and he feels with us.

Our peers are the third tier. As we suffer there is a natural overflow—it’s God’s suffering and comfort mixed with our own that streams into the lives of our friends.

I'm beginning to see that it’s God design for the flow to continue…through the ages.

Here’s the reality: Once we’ve suffered with something…with anything…we’re more tender, compassionate, and sensitive to the pain of others. So we’re more ready to minister.

But here’s a shock! This week I saw another verse--a companion to the one above. In Philippians 1:29 it says: “For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for him...” The footnote in my Bible told me that the word "granted" is from the Greek word that means “to be given as a gift or privilege”—indicating that suffering is a gift. H-m-m-m! I need time to absorb that because this does not feel like a gift! (smile)

But I don’t want to mislead you either. We have lots of fun every day. We enjoy each other’s company more than ever. We laugh. We tease. We reflect. We celebrate the moments we have. Plus we have lots of guests. The month of September we were alone only four days! (smile)

So even though we’re suffering we’re also rejoicing. Why? Because we feel Christ’s comfort splashing into our lives. And I’m “whooshing” it on to you! Now, don’t stop the flow. Go flood someone with love. (smile)

mm

P.S. Hey! Do you want to see how beautiful our little Jolene has become this year? She’ll be one on October 16. She is so cute, sweet, and congenial. Do you see any resemblance to Jim in that little face? (smile)

P.S.S. And guess what? We just got the wonderful news that grandbaby #6 is on the way. David and Rhonda have announced that their fourth child is due on April 23…my 60th birthday. Isn’t that fun?!

7 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Newton said...

Laughter! THAT is Jim's grandchild alright!
Great image of the fountains... I will show it to Ylva at first opportunity. She'll love it!

5:36 PM  
Blogger Brandi said...

Lovely post! I have wondered how you are doing lately and am glad you had a great September. We spent the last week of Sept in Hawaii to fulfill a dream of my sister and her husband (who has ALS). It was a great vacation. He was just diagnosed about 8 mths ago and it is progressing slowly, but he has trouble walking. I will keep you in my prayers - please keep them in yours. Thank you!

9:25 PM  
Blogger Dottie Milkey said...

To my dear friend, time and time again you inspire me. I can see a little Jim in the grandaughter. I hope you and Jim have many more fun years together. Your brother is right God has given you purpose. And I believe is far from finished with you. I am praying for healing in you body. Love you Maralyn

10:23 PM  
Blogger PePi said...

Dearest Maralyn!
You life truly flows as an encouragement around you! Thank you again for this wonderful message! You are an amazing woman and Christ shines so strongly through you! Thank you for letting us see it! You have a special place in my heart.

Greetings to you and Jim - and rest of your family. ...and YES, there is no doubt whose grandchild that one is! :) AND congratulations for the # 6 as well!!

8:35 AM  
Blogger Anto M said...

Hello Maralyne
I was reading your blog, what an inspiration woman you are for me. MERCI - si tu n'as pas oublié tout ton Français... bises Antonella

9:21 AM  
Blogger Maralyn said...

Antonella, We haven't seen each other for years! But for some reason I've been thinking a lot about you lately. How nice to find out that you are reading my blog! Could you send me an e-mail? My address is annies_recipes@yahoo.com. Je t'aime beaucoup!

9:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the good words. We should all be a little more homesick for Heaven.

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home