Maralyn's Updates

Friday, August 03, 2007

Finishing the Finnish Chapter

We've lived in Finland for seven years, and it has been a wonderful time, but now it's time to close this chapter of our lives. Our five weeks here will be eventful as we pack up our apartment, have an English Line Reunion (see details below if you are a former English Liner), and have a farewell service at our church (EICF). There are undoubtedly many bittersweet days ahead. Your prayers will be appreciated!

We've been here now for two days, and we're both still in major jetlag. Actually, it's kind of fun to sleep from 2:00-8:00 P.M. or 4:00-12:00 noon! I've been getting big projects done during the nighttime hours. :-) However, other than the "sleepies" I'm feeling really well. My swallowing and speech continue to improve, so we are hopeful.

Our colleague, Shaun, sent us this wonderful quote: "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that he didn't trust me so much." (Mother Theresa) That kind of summarizes it! :-)

Many thanks to all of you for your e-mails and comments on the blog. You keep me SO encouraged. Thank you!!

By the way, we can add two more countries to the list; I've heard from my North Vietnamese friend and also some friends in Scotland. There are literally thousands of you praying for me. WOW!

mm

P.S.
The English Line Reunion will be Saturday August 25, and Pilkku asked that I announce this on the blog because she doesn't have everybody's e-mail address. You're welcome to come anytime from 10:00 A.M. on. If you plan to eat lunch at Iso Kirja, you need to send an e-mail to Pilkku so she can sign you up. Her address is: pilvikkiviitanen@hotmail.com. She's still working on the program, but there will certainly be an evening meeting for praise, worship, and testimonies. Also let her know how you'd be willing to help on that day.
For us it would be fun if each of you would bring a personal A4 page for our English Line memory book. You could put a picture of yourself when you were in EL, and a current photo, then write a paragraph telling what you're doing now and how English Line has impacted your life.
Thanks! Hope to see you there.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jussi Ruokomäki said...

Bittersweet days, indeed.. So much looking forward to seeing you. Not at all looking forward to seeing you leave.

3:25 AM  
Blogger Marianna & Janne Tiainen said...

Dear Maralyn,

We found out about your condition couple of weeks ago, and at first we couldn't believe what we had heard...it made us so sad. You have been such an inspiration to us in so many ways - Just your example in life: how you do your ministry and just how you look at life in general. If somebody mentions your name, I (Marianna) always have to point out that YOU were MY English teacher at Iso Kirja. I thank God that you have been in my life! Just that...that you are always so positive and encouraging. You're amazing.

We want you to know that we will pray for you. As it is said: We serve a mighty God!

Lots of love and blessings,

Marianna & Janne + Nelly (1 y.) Tiainen

1:31 PM  
Blogger Elaine said...

Dear Maralyn,
My daughter, Karen, who is 26, had surgery this morning for endometriosis. She is doing fine. She is also having so many of the symptoms for MS. I watch her struggle and my son with his neuromuscular disease, CMT. Therefore, my heart always hurts when other families are dealing with tough diseases. We would like to make them go away but know that only God can do that. And, He is still in the miracle business! He will sooner or later make us whole! That is our promise. You, like my children, are keeping the faith. Thank you for your faith and positive outlook on life. I'm glad you are back in the US loving on those grandchildren! We miss your precious smile and Jim's as well. We send our love! Elaine and Wes Kouba

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home