Maralyn's Updates

Friday, October 05, 2007

The ICBW Game

I had my MRI on Tuesday and that afternoon the nurse called with the "good news" that my MRI was totally normal. She was joyful. My heart sank. Of course she didn't know that I was hoping they WOULD find something--anything besides ALS! I had to smile, though, because she was so happy to deliver the news.

Then I thought of The ICBW Game and I decided to play it. "It Could Be Worse" is a survival game that our son David invented during his year in Iraq. No matter what the situation, he would think of some way it could be worse. That inspired me.

So I've decided to play ICBW.

ICBW if the MRI had revealed that I had some other terrible condition in addition to ALS. Fortunately, I'm in very good general health. The doctor says this is a big bonus.

ICBW if I had young children depending on me. We've raised our children and I've had a very full life!

ICBW if I didn't have people who loved and cared for me. I have hundreds!

ICBW if I didn't have a personal relationship with the Lord. Mine has been more intimate than ever! I wouldn't trade these three months for anything!

ICBW if I didn't feel well. I feel energetic and normal, and the doctor says that my body hasn't changed in three months! That's a miracle!

The day in June when I had the EMG and Nerve Conduction Study (most painful tests I've ever had!) I was trying to play ICBW while they were sticking in the needles and sending shocks through the nerves in my legs, arms, back, even my tongue! I was thinking:

ICBW if I were a child and didn't understand what was happening.

ICBW if I were in a foreign country and couldn't understand the language being used between the doctor and the technician.

ICBW if I were having this test 40 years ago when everything was more primitive.

ICBW if I were in a torture chamber, and the person sticking needles into me didn't have my best interest at heart. (I admited this to the doctor when the test was over and it made both of us smile. Humor is a great survival tool!)

Okay, it's your turn to play ICBW. "My situation could be worse if..."

Now I want to caution you. As my friends Pam and Sue commented, we shouldn't say this to our friends when they have poured out their problems to us. It could seem like we're trying to minimalize their troubles. No, this is a personal thing, a tool that God can use to encourage us and give us perspective on our own situations.

I love this verse from the Bible: "Finally, bretheren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything priaseworthy--meditate on these things." Philippians 4:8 Did you know that we can choose where we let our minds ponder?

How are you looking at your situation? Allow God to give you a new perspective. For me I know that my situation could be worse--much worse! I'm praising him for what I DO have! I get up every day and say, "Thank you God that I can walk, and talk, and scratch my nose if it itches." :-)

I conclude with this cute story:
David and Rhonda's friends Ben and Alyssa had just bought an adorable little puppy and had made the decision to take him on the plane with them, thinking that the hold for dogs would be too traumatic for such a tiny puppy. Everything on the flight went great. Throughout the whole flight the puppy slept soundly under their seat in his tiny cage. But, as everyone stood to deplane, the little fluffy ball got a terrible case of diarrhea. Very smelly diarrhea. The putrid smell filled the plane. As people filed out of the plane, many looked disgustedly at them. Ben and Alyssa were embarrassed! David heard this story and said, "It Could Have Been Worse." How? we all asked. "It would have been worse if it had happened at the beginning of the flight." :-) True!

mm

6 Comments:

Blogger Rose said...

Hey,

This blog is great. Yup, it could be worse indeed! Just browsed through your cook book, "what next?", I wont stop untill Ive tried everything in it. Totally my favourite from all times and i began this while we were living in England. Joshua is fine, he turned 1 yrs old a month ago and everything seems to be rolling fine. we're hosting /leading a homegroup and faith-wise, growing, stronger...

.. And as a FRiday, we're going through our "study book" from you guys:) Thankyou guys!!!

Keeping you in our prayers! Love you loads!!! C, S and J

12:25 PM  
Blogger preacherman said...

Hi Maralyn,

Rosalie said she had talked with you at the Minister's Wives Retreat in September - you blessed her.

Your writings on the "Two Rails" and "ICBW" especially helped me today.

About 25 years ago God gave me this, "It is better to know God than to know why." I thought of that again today when I read your writings.

We are praying for and with you and Jim.

God bless,

Joel Pavia

3:10 PM  
Blogger dvagle said...

Maralyn,

You are like the battery bunny that keeps on giving. The ICBW game appears to be a good coping mechanism and something I will use when needed. As Mary Merrill said in her poem God is still the God of light.

Hang in there and we will continue to pray.

11:00 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

It´s nice to be able to read your news despite that you are so far away !!

Keeping you in my prayers !!

5:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouraging words. I laughed several times at the ICBW situations. It's all about perspective isn't it.

Maralyn, you are an inspiration to me of one who loves God and has an eternal perspective. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I can't wait to see you in a week or so.

Daniel

6:48 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Hi my special friend, Maralyn!
You are such an amazing, awe inspiring person with your positiveness. And as you say ICBW! God is so good and faithful and your life is in His hands. What a wonderful thing we can depend on, thus make the most of each day He gives us. Thank you for speaking such powerful, encouraging words into so many people's lives. Jim and I are praying for you and Jim each day!

Love you,
Jeanne (& Jim)

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home