Maralyn's Updates

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

No Darkness

The endocrinologist didn't give me the answer I wanted today.

I wanted her to find problems in my thyroid and discount the ALS diagnosis, but it didn't happen. She said that my thyroid appears to be functioning normally. She did do some tests for which I'll have results on Monday, but all indications are that my thyroid is fine. Which brought us to directly face the ALS for the first time.

When we got to the car I cried...Jim cried...and we held each other.

But then as we drove away, God gradually began to restore our perspective. We KNOW He's in charge. We KNOW He's a good God. We KNOW our times are in His hands. We KNOW He loves us. We KNOW that in He is a bright spot of light.

Now flash back to the days just following the diagnosis, during the last week of June. We had a lovely evening with David's parents-in-law, our good friends, Dean and Grace Merrill. That evening Dean read me a poem that his sweet mother wrote as she went through a difficult time. It lifted me then, and it catapults me now, into the truth that God is light--no matter what!

NO DARKNESS!

They tell me that the way is dark
As I go on ahead,
They say my days will surely be
Filled with pain and dread;
But somehow I cannot believe
These words of doom are right,
The God I've loved these many years
Is still the God of light!

In Him, there is no darkness,
No shadows, no despair,
How can I doubt the One I love?
On Him, I cast my care;
And so the path ahead seems bright,
The night shines as the day,
The darkness and the light are both
Alike to Him, I say.

So I will see the Light ahead,
And trust, and love, and pray,
For "in His light, I will see light,"
I know that is His way!
The darkness cannot hide from Him,
He hears me when I call,
He lights my path--and so I see
NO DARKNESS--none at all!

--Mary Merrill--

"This then is the message which we have heard of Him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all." I John 1:5

No matter what you're facing, and no matter how dark it looks, remember He is the light source. Let's not stare into the darkness, but rather focus on "The Light"!

4 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

I am very sorry to hear the news !
But as you say yourself, there is no darkness, just light.
Lord is the light and will not leave you in the dark eventhough it might seem that way sometimes!!
Bless you!!!

3:13 AM  
Blogger Rose said...

we are sorry for such news, we cant even imagine what you guys are going through BUT we are praying for you and sending our love. From ALL of us, lots and lots of love

4:44 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

Dear Maralyn and Jim,
I'm really sorry to hear such news from you! May God comfort you and be with you on every step!
You are in our prayers!

*hug*

7:38 AM  
Blogger Christine Carter said...

Jim & Maralyn, I am very sorry to hear of the results of your tests. God bless you & hold you in His loving arms so that you feel His closeness at all times. In Jesus, Amen.

Love you!
Christine

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home