Maralyn's Updates

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Still


Finland is a very still place.

But I am not a very still person...at least not naturally.

If you know me, you know that I'm always on the move. Making lists, checking things off, standing up, sitting down, moving around. Some days I'm non-stop from morning to night. Probably if I were a kid in school today I would be labeled ADHD. I was a very active kid. I remember spreading out my feet to the width of a doorway, and then quickly climbing to the top, like a little monkey, so I could be higher than the adults. :-) As a teenager I was a cheerleader, and not just at the games. I bounded around the house, jumping, twirling, and twisting. My mom said that I was more active than all three of my brothers combined!! :-)

Still was just NOT my thing, at least until I came to Finland! It's here that I have learned the beauty of silence. As I have been packing to leave, I've realized that one of the many gifts I have received from this culture is an appreciation for the stillness. The people here are comfortable with silence. In the Helsinki airport you can almost hear a pin drop. It's lovely. Also the calm Finnish nature invites reflection. In Keuruu, where we lived for six years, I had a big rock with water on three sides. It was beautiful out there in every season, and my favorite thing to do was take my Bible, a notebook, and pen and just go out there and listen.

It wasn't easy for God to teach me about this "quiet thing." It was a big job, but He's a big God! :-) But I believe that teaching me to be still was one way he helped prepare me for this moment in my life. The challenge of the ALS diagnosis is eased by the ability to rest quietly in Him.

You've probably heard the hymn "Be Still My Soul," but did you know that the Finnish national hymn "Finlandia" is set to the same tune? So, I hear that tune fairly often when I'm here in Finland, and each time God reminds me that He can speak to me through the silence. But! Finding time to sit still is SO hard for me! ;-)

Today as I sat down to have my morning devotions, my mind was racing. Things to do. Things to pack. Things to decide. Then I heard God whisper, "Be still." I took a deep breath and opened my ears. Then my eyes fell on my bookmark from the November Ladies Only meeting, and there were the words to THE song. I let my mind settle down and then I listened to God's voice in the stillness.

"Be still my soul, the Lord is on thy side
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain
Leave to thy God to order and provide
In every change He faithful will remain
Be still my soul, thy best thy heavenly friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.
Be still my soul, thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as He has the past
Thy hope thy confidence let nothing shake
Oh thou mysterious will be bright at last."

I paused and read through the words again, allowing them to penetrate deep into my spirit. The "stillness" felt so GOOD!

Then I looked at the bottom of the bookmark and read this lovely paraphrase of Philippians 4:6. (Taken from Amy Grant's album Legacy...Hymns & Faith.)

"Delight yourself in the Lord; yes, and find your joy in Him.
Be known for your gentleness, and never forget the nearness of our God.
And don't worry! Whatever's going to come, just tell God every detail
And the peace of God that no one understands will come to you.
No, don't worry, just tell Him every detail and His peace will come to you."

I'm sure my pulse slowed. I know my eyes closed, and I felt God's peace penetrating through to those deep inner concerns, and also infiltrating my fluttery lists for the day. I don't know how long I sat there STILL, but I know when it was over I felt deeply refreshed.

Then as I moved through my day with speed and efficiency, there was a deep peace below the surface--the strength of silence.

I challenge you, especially if you're a mover like me, to just find a peaceful place. Open your mind. See what God says. Walk through a woods. Sit beside a lake. Listen to the silence. Let Him tell you how much He loves you. Listen to him saying that He is bigger than your situation.

"Be still and know that I am God." Ps. 46:10

mm

10 Comments:

Blogger Christine Carter said...

Hi Maralyn :)

It's been a few years since seeing you & Jim in Texas while I attended SAGU. I'm about to begin my last year in an MDiv program at AGTS.

Ruth Collins forwarded me an email from you & Jim that gave your blog address. I read through and am still shocked at what you've been experiencing.

Add me to your prayer list friend, I will keep lifting you & the family before the One we love & trust. His ways are certainly different than what we would plan at times, but He never changes and never forgets those He loves - Yes, His hand is always ready for us to hold. He is as near as His throne that is set in our hearts - even while He is busy watching all things from His courts in Heaven.

I love you & Jim, as always, and now I understand why you've been on my heart lately.

Praying,
Christine Carter

4:52 PM  
Blogger Terri F said...

Maralyn,

I think God has a way of teaching us all stillness, because it is not the nature of our world, how it is a struggle!!

It is in the stillness in which God speaks and in that stillness we can experience the peace that truly does surpass all understanding.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, I pray for you without ceasing.

God bless you, my friend.

Terri F.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Oh dear Maralyn, and Jim too, my heart aches for you both in this time, but I know our God is faithful! I'm glad to see you here on blogger, and I'll be checking in and praying for you. Such a long time since we've sat down and talked with you, but you have a warm spot :-D in our hearts.

Prayers and Blessings,

Dorcas George, aka "SingingOwl" and for Ken as well.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Maralyn and Jim :.)
One of my favorite things to do is to check your blog and see if you've written anything new, and if you haven't, then I read the old ones.
Thank you for letting me walk with you, even though you may not know I'm carrying you in my prayers and living through this with you to the best that I know how.
I was just talking to my grandmother the other day (she's in a nursing home here in Toronto) and I said it's going to be lovely when we can all be together in heaven...and she smiled and looked me and the peace in her eyes was beautiful. I don't see that look very often anymore, but one mention of God and our future and her face softens.
I better go for now...lovely to read your blog :.)
Eerika

10:28 AM  
Blogger ashleigh said...

i heard a sermon once that talked about that verse, "be still and know that i am God". the preacher, whether he was right or not im not sure (ha), but said that the real translation says to "cease from striving".....i liked that. and i liked this blog!

ashleigh

9:33 PM  
Blogger Stoneslinger said...

Maralyn,
I really appreciate your thoughts on stillness. In the turmoil of the last 15 months of my life, I have had a lot of time alone, but have so often failed to absorb the stillness of God's world. I seem to be a glutton for activity. Always moving. My prayerlife is more about talking and complaining, than about listening. To reflect on the stillness and quietude is healing. It where growth begins. Ecclesiastes 2 talks about the meaningless of it all; chasing after the wind. Its better to sit still and listen to the wind. Listen to the sound of breathing. Thanks for your encouragement today; you have motivated me to reestablish some of my lost traits.
May the Lord bless you and heal you!
rob

3:52 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

Hi Maralyn & Jim,

I just found out that you had a blog :). I was choked to hear your latest news. Sometimes it really seems hard to understand why God allows sertain hardships in our lifes, but luckily He is in control and His plan is the best for us! That's a lesson that I've really struggeled with lately.
The words of the hymn "Be still" spoke strongly for me too, as I read your lates note, thanks for the thoughts you wrote!

I'll keep you in my prayers!
I'm planning to come to Keuruu on 25th, if things work out and I find a lift... Hoping to meet you!

Greetings & God bless you!
-Maria (Pakarinen ):)

2:18 PM  
Blogger Lotta said...

Hello Maralyn!
I just found your blog. So wonderfull to read about you after long time. I would like to write you more, could you send me your e-mail address? Mine is ensi_ihastus@yahoo.com.
I am not able to come to EL-meeting.
I hope for you very good and blessed last times in Finland! I pray for your helth and healing. Say my love to Jim too!
LOve, LOTTA

4:17 AM  
Blogger Ilpo said...

Hi Maralyn,

I just wanted to tell you that I will be praying for you and Jim.

God bless you.

Ilpo "Gosro" Heikkilä
Keuruu, Finland
ilpoheikkila@gmail.com

6:25 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

That is beautiful !! That is so true !!

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home