Maralyn's Updates

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Recalibration

Every New Year I “recalibrate.”

Do you like my new word? I had heard the word many times, but it had never gotten into my vocabulary until a few weeks ago when we were with our friend Ed Schmidgall. He had driven across the city to treat us to breakfast near O’Hare airport. In our conversation he said that in his lifetime he had been "fortunate" enough to have to recalibrate nine times. “Each time I’ve lost someone close to me, it has made me recalibrate and evaluate what’s important on this earth.”

I’ve been thinking about that ever since, because that’s what’s been happening to me.

Perhaps recalibration is kind of a “guy word” because it’s necessary for guns, laser levels, and computer thermal sensors. So for my girlfriends I’ll explain. Recalibration is the resetting of everything. Realigning. Fine-tuning. Dialing back. Adapting. Adjusting. Putting right.

I guess recalibration happens naturally when the doctor tells you that you have a terminal illness. It’s like suddenly you know what’s important and what isn’t. I, like Ed, feel blessed to have been through this recalibration process.

Now with the normal New Year re-evaluation upon me, I find I’m thinking differently than before. As I make my plans for the year ahead I feel embarrassed when I think of how “ME-centered” my resolutions have sometimes been in the past.

If you’ve been a regular reader of my blogs over this six month period, you know that God has been challenging me to rethink my thinking. He’s giving me glimpses of what matters for eternity and what doesn’t. It’s been a time of major recalibration.

This may sound strange, but my New Year’s wish for you is that you will be faced with a situation that will make you recalibrate. Maybe you, like Ed, have already had to do this many times. If so, you know exactly what I’m saying.

So if it happens to you during 2008, don’t run from it. Seize the opportunity!

Yesterday I went to the physical therapist and she gave me exercises to strengthen the muscles in my torso. Hopefully, that will help my walking become stronger. Next Monday I’ll meet with a doctor who I’m hoping will be able to help me manage the mucous that is limiting my speech. Other than these two things many days I feel quite normal.

And what about my neurologist’s evaluation two weeks ago that indicated "no change” in my ALS for three months? Well…it allowed me to...........RECALIBRATE! ☺

7 Comments:

Blogger Ed Homer said...

Hi Marilyn: Good word for all of us. You're blog has been a major blessing to so many. Once again proving...all things work for good to those who love God. The Homers (Ed and Margaret)

7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

I wanted to wish you Happy New Year and say something about the miracle of God in my life. It is not nothing special but I had been for a while away from God, living so far from him. I didnt pray much and stop reading Bible and going to meetings. I did pray sometimes but not regularly.
Then yesterday I was in Joensuu in youth new years celebration and I felt God calling me. So I went outside and we prayed with my close friend Anne. I told I want to be nearer Him and start reading Bible again and asked forgiveness from my sins.
I havent felt so peaceful in a long time and when we sing praises to God my heart rejoiced in a new way.
God heard me and the speach they had for that night was especially for me and all those words went deep down inside of me. I felt like new person and me and my friend cried together.
you have been inspiring to me with you Bible lessons.
I and my family keep praying for you Maralyn.
God bless you

your in my heart.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Manop said...

Hi!
Thanks for your word. It's really encourage me to look forward for the good things this new year.
with love
Manop

8:37 PM  
Blogger Hanna said...

Hello Maralyn & Jim!

I think when you become a parent you also have to recalibrate, everything. It's a long process. It's painful to realize how much time has been waisted on useless things. When the baby grows older you are again tempted to join the good for nothing hobbies you did before the baby was there...

We are planing Oskar's first birthday and are so happy that he is becoming more independent :) A few more weeks and he'll be walking. Life is good.

Hanna & Jussi

1:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great word! Your being diagnosed with a terminal illness has helped me to begin to recalibrate as well. I feel the Lord is going through my life with a fine tooth comb. He's calling me to be a person of integrity at all times and in every way. I thought I valued integrity and was such a person until the Lord began to shine his light of truth on several areas of my life. It's painful but good. God's ways are always best. Thanks for being so open with your process. It has been a big encouragement to me.

6:41 AM  
Blogger Mikko&Susanna said...

We also want to wish you, Maralyn and Jim, all the best for this New year. May God continue to give you His LOVE and encouragement every day. We think of you often,

Susanna & Mikko

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home