Maralyn's Updates

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Paradox

Years ago I heard one of our colleagues describe the missionary itineration as “THE MOST WONDERFUL--AWFUL THING HE HAD EVER DONE.” We were newly appointed, so his statement entertained my imagination for weeks. How could it be both? I wondered. Then we set out to hold services in churches to raise our own support, and I could see that he was right. The process was awful because we had to sleep in dozens of different beds, eat at all the wrong times, sit in a car for endless hours, and bear the weight of the formidable budget. But we also found that the whole process was wonderful, because God provided for us in remarkable ways. New relationships, astonishing miracles, and financial surprises filled the path with wonder. To date we have done four one-year-long itinerations, and I can truthfully say that I HATE THEM--BUT I LOVE THEM!

Now I’ve lived long enough to see that life is full of paradoxes. For instance, right now even though THE DOCTOR SAYS I'M DYING, I'VE NEVER FELT MORE ALIVE.

As you know, in June my neurologist told me that I have bulbar ALS, the kind which has begun not in my hands and feet, like it does for 80% of ALS patients, but in my tongue, throat and mouth. He said that the normal life expectancy for this type of ALS is 12-18 months. That was five months ago. If someone had told me ahead of time that this was going to happen, I’m sure I would have despaired, but I COULD NEVER HAVE IMAGINED THE DARK PATH WOULD HAVE SO MANY GLIMMERS OF LIGHT.

Here’s the paradox. DURING THIS PROCESS SOMETIMES I HAVE FELT LIKE I WAS IN A TIGHT BOX --BUT I HAVE ALSO FELT LIBERATED. At the moment of the diagnosis, everything changed. Suddenly I knew what was important in my life. I let go of things that didn’t matter, and I reached out to embrace things I had previously taken for granted.

For example:

Our marriage has never been more fresh or exciting.

Our relationships with all four of our children have taken on sweet new dimensions.

I find myself fixating on adorable things that our grandkids do (okay that hasn’t changed THAT much ☺)

Certainly, friendships have become more meaningful.

Even nature seems more vibrant.

My senses are just keener these days!


Yesterday while doing some errands, I went through a drive-through to get food. I was going to try to eat it while driving, then I thought, “Life’s too short!” ☺ So, I pulled off the road and sat facing the river in our small local park. Before our missions work, we lived in this community for 17 years, and now we’re back to the same town, so I’ve driven by that portion of the Wisconsin River thousands of times; but this was the first time that I took time to soak in its beauty. As I ate my sandwich, the barren trees and rippling chilly water told me that they were enjoying the freedom of the moment, knowing that soon they were going to be heavily laden with snow. ☺

I am just feeling totally excited about life! My mind is dancing with ideas for the holidays. I’m like a kid at Christmas—literally! ☺ Which cookies should I bake? Which gifts? And Thanksgiving? With plans to entertain 34 people in my half –finished house? That would have certainly stressed me out before. But not now. I know that everything will be fine, even if it isn’t perfect. This attitude of abandonment makes everything more fun. Isn’t it ironic? JUST LIKE IT SAYS IN SCRIPTURE, I HAD TO LOSE MY LIFE TO FIND IT.

I feel fortunate to feel so well! My symptoms haven’t changed a lot over the last two months. Some days I have lots of muscle spasms in my hands, throat, legs, and abdomen—other days I have almost none. Some days my tongue is painfully slow, causing strangers to strain to understand me—other times my speech is quite clear. Some days it takes a couple of swallows to get the food to go down—other days I can eat the driest bread with no problem. Some days I have to battle massive amounts of mucus in my throat--other days I have almost none. Some days my feet feel like I’m walking through mud—other days I have a spring in my step. It’s like a pendulum that swings back and forth. ON THOSE HARD DAYS WHEN I FEEL SO WEAK, I'M GLAD THAT GOD IS STRONG, because it's then that I realize how much I need him.

One thing I know for sure, if God allows me to live beyond the doctor’s predictions, I will be a different person. From now on I will know that spending time with a friend over coffee is more important than getting one more thing crossed off my list! Too often, I have let the urgent things crowd out the important ones. I don’t know how many moments I have left on earth, but I do know that I don’t want to miss any of them.

We purchased the home that Jim built for his parents in 1979, and my handy husband has been working hard to remodel it for us to live in. The kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom are almost done, so we’ll be moving into it this coming week. He will do the rest of the work while we’re living there. IT IS LOTS OF WORK, BUT IT'S FUN TO SEE IT DEVELOP. There's that paradox thing again.

ISN'T IT IRONIC THAT IN THE PROCESS OF DYING, I'VE LEARNED HOW TO LIVE?

mm

8 Comments:

Blogger Dr. James O. Lowell said...

Maralyn my dear friend, YOU are AMAZING and I am so glad you're my friend. I love you and continue to pray for you daily. So special how God takes the hard things and makes them easier to bear. He is the burden lifter and the lifter of our heads. With you chin up high and your praise to the sky you will continue to soar on wings as eagles.

Love you bunches,
Jeanne

9:18 AM  
Blogger Tyrees said...

maralyn, i just wanted to let you know i'm keeping up with your life. i appreciate your honesty and your willingness to bear your soul to so many. it would be easy to pull back and retreat inside yourself, but you have chosen to include us in your journey, and for that i'm thankful. whenever i think of you i think of one of the smiliest happiest huggiest people i know. i know what it's like to walk in darkness, but i also know who walks with us. the thing the Lord has spoken to my heart this past week is that they overcame by the blood of the lamb rev. 12:11 and that the Lord wants us to be united in body, soul and spirit. you are so loved and so thought of, i love you diana

2:13 PM  
Blogger Sheree Lynch said...

Thank you for encouraging me with each of your entries. God bless you and your family. You are all in my prayers. Sheree Lynch

7:44 AM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

Maralyn, Thank you for being so authentic with your life. You have challenged me. I have to remember that life is short. That a cup of coffee with a friend is so much more important than the work that is piled on my desk. Your blogs have stopped me in my tracks and to ponder what is truly important in life. I am praying for you!
Love and Prayers
Jane

10:56 AM  
Blogger Tammy Oestreich (Gotz) said...

Dear Maralyn, I was surprised this morning with an email from a friend that directed me to your site.I am so very thankful.It has been to long since I had a chance to catch up on what you are doing & how things have been.At this point I am not sure you remember me but the impact you had on my life has been long lasting.I remember a kindergarten teacher, that was so full of love for the children, in her class.Each day was another adventure that I was always excited to take part in.A little girl named Tammy Gotz was molded & shaped in her introduction to school by the sweetest teacher ever ...thank you.Now so many years later I am learning all over again some very important things in life,through your journal, isn't it wonderful how God works.ABOUT 1 1/2 years ago I was diagnosed with Cancer,there is that big C word,labels that drs. give us are just that & really mean no more.An elderly woman whom has walked in my footsteps earlier in her life told me The big C is Christ & NOT cancer & that He will always be the one in control of my fate. I find more & more through this journey that every breathe is a gift from God & each NEW day gives me so much joy ! Like you God has given me extraordinary days & helped me through the difficult ones.I am thrilled to be able to follow your walk & know that seeing life through your eyes will enrich mine.I am so thankful for God's many blessings,you are surely on the never ending list.I WILL keep you in my prayers .
Take care & God Bless
Tammy Oestreich

9:24 AM  
Blogger Greijus said...

Dear Maralyn,
You and Jim gave me a gift that will last a lifetime. Each time I pick up my Bible I remember you. I started a Bible-reading plan, and each day I'm reminded of your strong faith and the importance of taking actual steps to make it grow! I've posted my refrigirator with EL papers, bookmarks... Meeting you two was such an important link in my faith and walk here on earth. And not only that but you are such loving and wonderful people!
With all my love and prayers
-Johanna

2:20 PM  
Blogger Tanja said...

Hi Maralyn, I was so sad that I never found out what date we had our meeting with English Liners so I was not able to see you before you left Finland. But today I got this address from Katja Rossi and I just have to write to you. It's amazing to read about your life and how God is so visible in your writing. You are such an inspiration for us all and I am so lucky to know you. Thank you for all the help that you gave me in Iso Kirja and you and Jim are always in my heart. I love you so much. May God continue blessing you and pour out His love for you.
With all my love,
Tanja Hankkio

2:13 PM  
Blogger NEkc said...

Maralyn - long time friend. I don't begin to understand all that one goes through but I know how to "hang on to the altar". You and Jim are amazing, as is your family. Joyce and I have been and are blessed by you guys. I don't pretend to have too many profound thoughts or sayings but offer Ps. 34:1-4 as a simple encouragement.
You are continually in our prayers...really!!
Love, Ken and Joyce

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home