Maralyn's Updates

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Shower of Tears

About a week ago I realized that in the last four months I have avoided crying as much as possible. Even the night I heard I had ALS I didn't cry.

That was a big change for me because before my diagnosis, tears were a regular thing for me. I was often choked up about something, and Jim, too. We would often cry at the same things. Once we cried at the same moment during an episode of The Brady Bunch :-) and another time at an AT&T commercial. We're both criers.

But I now realize that I have been trying not to cry because I can no longer control the intensity of the sounds. If I cry, I sob, I gasp for air, I groan----it's not a pretty sight! So I've been trying not to.

Last Saturday, after a rough day, I cried hard! I had felt so weak and so tired all day, and I had had many muscle spasms; I knew it was "the disease" knocking at my door. I think in trying to hold back the tears, I had been trying to hold back the disease----to keep it from developing. It was a form of denial.

But that day when Jim got home, the dam broke; all of the tears that I had held back for four months came gushing out uncontrollably. I sobbed, I groaned, I gasped for air. It went on and on. It was awful, but it was wonderful. Jim cried with me and held me close. I cried for him and I cried for me.

I realized that Ruth and Dave upstairs could probably hear the sobs, and suddenly it was okay. Okay, even though it wasn't dainty and graceful.

Crying is me. I have to be able to let myself feel deeply. I'm born to be a feeler.

Since the dam broke, I've cried a lot; and even though crying is physically uncomfortable, it feels good to not hold it back. So in these last few days...

*When my song came on the radio ("In His Arms") I let myself cry.

*When on TV this week Dan Betzer spontaneously sang "His Eye is on the Sparrow" I let myself cry.

*When Jim prayed for my healing in a before-the-meal prayer (like he does every day) I let myself cry.

*When our son David told about the mother of the handicapped son who was going on the medical missions trip with his team this week I let myself cry.

*When our son Paul held me last night and told me how much he loved me I let myself cry.

I told Jim that I would be crying whenever I felt like it from now on. He said he was very glad. I feel like I've reclaimed a sweet part of myself. I must cry. My feelings have to come out!

At first I was cautious about crying out of self-pity, but two of my close friends have assured me that it's okay to cry for myself. They both showed me the Psalms and how "raw" the feelings of David were. They convinced me that crying is a gift from God and he can handle it. :-)

An old Jewish Proverb says: What soap is for the body, tears are for the soul.

Over this last week, I've been having a steady shower of tears. My soul is being washed, but there's a lot of "build-up" in there, so it will take time to clean it out.

mm

P.S. As of Tuesday October 16th, I have a new granddaughter. Her name is Jolene Hope, and she is beautiful! She joins big sister Elliana Joy. I arrived at their house last night and just being with the two of them brings me HOPE and JOY.

15 Comments:

Blogger Antti Hirviniemi said...

Maralyn, I just wanted to drop a note to say I'm glad to read you're crying again.

We keep carrying a share of the load through our prayers, and we pray that with the tears some of your load is shook off.

May the Lord bless you with strength and washing tears, as well Jim, and others who closely walk this through with you.

1:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maralyn,
Again, this timing of your entry is so amazing to me. Last night, I was lying in bed composing a private email to you in my head. I have been really inspired (like soooo many) by your expressions of your Faith, but I finally wanted to find a polite and proper way to approach the subject of, don't you become tired of being so positive all the time? I wanted to be sure I was sensitive and not have it all come out wrong. I just wondered if you were getting tired of being everyone else's inspiration and if you were allowing yourself to give in to other God given emotions. I guess you have once again answered my questions here in your blog. Thank you for being so strong, and thank you for showing us all it's all important to be real too.
CONGRATULATIONS ON JOLENE HOPE! I bet she is as beautiful as her name.
-- Cherilyn

2:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mom, I cried reading your post on crying. . . I think I have "missed" that side of you the last few months, how your tears used to be close to the surface (and mostly for happy things!) Let them flow -- I agree, it is a gift from God.
I love you deeply.
Rhonda

2:00 PM  
Blogger Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Dear Maralyn, your post brought tears to my eyes. Ken and I are praying for you--and I am rejoicing to hear of the little ones--what lovely names.

Dorcas George a.k.a. SingingOwl

10:28 AM  
Blogger Madame K said...

Hello Maralyn! Thanks for your letter! It is on my table. You know, I can not write english, but I just want to say that we love you! We remember you here in Finland and in our minds you are very bright.
God bless you minute by minute!

Your friends in Keuruu, Kirsi-Klaudia and Kai

1:21 PM  
Blogger ashleigh said...

hey this is ashleigh. vesa and i just moved to finland two days ago.....i keep crying. sorda felt what you described about not wanting to. but i need to, yeah?
while reading your post i was listening to a song by tim hughes "i've had questions"....some of the words: "i will praise You, when the tears fall, still i will sing to You" ...God is good to speak to me through you. thank you.

...now, crying!!!

3:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, it's pilkku.:) I haven't forgotten you, even though I haven't been in touch lately.. Antti expressed my thoughts as well! The only thing I could say more is Amen!

hugs and love from
another crier,
pilkku

6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!

I read your latest writting on your blog and it touched me deeply. I am with you in prayer and I have been crying too with you here in Helsinki, where I study now.
I know God can do miracles and I keep hoping for the best. It has been privilegde to get to know you and Jim as well. Your wonderful person and strong in faith, not wearing what is coming. I admire that in you.
God bless you both

Elena Juvonen

9:42 AM  
Blogger Sheree Lynch said...

Maralyn, I had the priviledge of working with your son, Dave in Honduras this last week. I lost my father to ALS just over a year ago. My heart aches with you all and yet I rejoice as I hear of a life lived fully for the Lord, just as my father did. May God give you His peace and the sense of His presence every step of this journey. God bless you!
Sheree Lynch

8:42 AM  
Blogger chelsea said...

Marayln. What can I say to you that you already know...You are a very strong woman! Your faith and perseverance blows my mind! I am a VFCC student and when you spoke in chapel yesterday you showed me GREAT STRENGHT in spite of the outward circumstances! Its all about perspective. You have an amazing heart! I will be praying for you and your family in the up and coming months for Gods perfect will be accomplished. If he heals you....TO HIM all the Glory!! If he chooses not to heal you.....still to Him be all the Glory! Again..... your words impacted many here at VFCC! I have heard many talking about you and the words you spoke in chapel really touched hearts and gave many of us a new perspective. I pray Gods peace and strenght to you and your husband and family! I send my love to you and my prayers to heaven!!
Luv in HIM, chelsea

12:08 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Mrs. Mathias,

I am a student at VFCC and heard you share your heart with us yesterday in chapel...thank you for opening up your life to us. I just want you to know I think you are an amazing woman of God and I am praying for you and for your family. You have challenged me in ways I cannot express in words. I want to strive to live a life of complete surrender and allow God to work in me and through me as He has done in your life. You radiate God's love and have blessed and inspired so many. I read a verse yesterday and found it to bring comfort and I thought I would pass it along to you. It is short but sweet. Psalm 29:11 The Lord gives strength to His people; the Lord blesses His people with peace. Thank you again for sharing with all of us at VFCC. We are praying for you!!!

Love - Allison

1:52 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Dear Maralyn,

Thank you for sharing your life with us at VFCC. Your message yesterday was truely inspiring and I was truely blessed. I know that many other students walked away blessed as well. Thank you for your ministry.

God bless you

Rachel McCabe
(VFCC student)

4:14 PM  
Blogger CAROLINA said...

Maralyn,

I also am from VFCC and was at the chapel you spoke on. I actually almost had to sit on the floor on the back wall until my fiancee got me a chair to sit on. I'm glad I could not only hear you but see you too!!

I really wanted to thank you for your words of encouragement and for sharing your real emotions with us. It was your appreciation of life and deep gratitude of God's grace that really spoke to me. I've been going through some things lately and I think I'll use your ICBW game... ha ha.

I pray that God blesses you every single day with even more examples of how great He is. He is truly amazing.

May you feel God's hugs every moment!

- Carolina

9:55 PM  
Blogger erin said...

Maralyn,
We have met a few times very briefly at VFCC and CTS over the last five years. You have always been an encouraging and inspiring presence, so I just wanted to leave a short note saying I was touched to hear you speak at VFCC last week. I sat in the back and cried. I am not a crier but so appreciate the beauty of tears.

Thank you for your honesty, wisdom and grace. I pray God’s blessings and strength for you and Jim.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Greijus said...

Dear Maralyn,
I cried reading your blog - yet again. They have that effect on me. You are soooo genuine. Reading your blog refreshes me and puts my life in perspective over and over again. God bless you and may He give you strengh every morning!!
THANK GOD FOR YOU!
Love Johanna

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home