Maralyn's Updates

Monday, October 20, 2008

God is FOR you!

Micah is crazy about Jim, and Jim is crazy about Micah. This little love affair is played out every time our two families are together. Micah reaches for Jim. Jim smiles at him and takes him. Micah lays his head on Jim’s shoulder, sometimes with his thumb and bear, and the two of them snuggle. Or in playing together, Jim makes a silly sound and Micah cracks up, like it is the funniest thing in the world. Once when we arrived at their house, Micah was done eating, but hadn’t eaten very well. But when Jim sat down to feed him, he ate a lot! And even during the height of his stranger anxiety phase (around 11 months old) he wouldn't go to anyone except Mommy, Daddy, and Ukki (Jim). Around that time, one day we were babysitting and we thought for sure he'd cry when his parents pulled out of the driveway, but he didn't. He just laid his little head on Jim’s shoulder as if to say: No problem. I'm with my buddy! (smile)

It’s the sweetest thing in the world!

Lately as I have been watching this cuteness, I’ve been hearing God tell me that that’s the way he feels about me…that he is really FOR me!

My Beth Moore Bible study “Stepping Up” is an in depth look at the Psalms of Ascent. These 15 Psalms (120-134) were associated with the 15 steps in the temple. They were sung on the pilgrimage to the Three Great Feasts, and also sung by exiles returning to Jerusalem from captivity.

This has been a particularly rich study for me! Especially Psalm 124 has blessed me these last few days.

“…..If God hadn’t been FOR us…... when everyone went against us, we would have been swallowed alive…...swept away by the flood…...drowned in the torment…...we would have lost our lives in the wild, raging water..…” (Ps. 124:1-5 MSG)

In the workbook, Beth makes this statement:
“Regardless of how long we’ve been Christians and how deeply we’ve studied God’s Word, most of us don’t really believe down in the marrow of our bones that God is entirely, wholeheartedly, and unwaveringly on our side.”
It’s probably not that we feel God is against us, but rather that we’re just one of the bunch of human beings. Maybe he just tolerates us.

No! You and I are special to him…like Micah is to Jim! Like Jim is to Micah!

Now, this doesn’t mean that Jim loves only Micah. He has a close relationship with each of our five grandchildren, but that takes nothing from his special little friendship with Micah. I’m no more special to God than you are…but we are both his treasures! Amazing truth, isn’t it?

One of the recent readings (Oct. 7) in my Joni Eareckson’s “Diamonds in the Dust” devotional book augmented this idea. “Whether you are weak or strong, saintly or struggling, Jesus cares for you. I realize that you may be thinking, ‘Sure, Jesus cares for me in the general sense, as for the whole world, but when it comes to specifics, surely there must be others He is more interested in. After all, I can’t pray out loud…I have a hard time understanding the Bible…I can’t seem to shake bad habits. Yes, I know He cares but not as much as He does for more obedient types.’ Not so. The Lord’s care for you does not hinge on your hang-ups. His care for you has nothing to do with your baggage of personal problems…As a child of God you matter. For you, dear believer, have the full force and undivided attention of eternal Love. Love that cares with no strings attached.”

Wow!

Can you imagine God reaching for you the way Jim does for Micah? Can you feel him laughing with you? Can you feel him anticipating your needs? I recently heard of a lady who thought God had given her cancer because she had been a lukewarm Christian. I don't believe that's how our loving God works!

God is FOR you and God is FOR me! If we will let this soak deeply into our spirits...we’ll be changed people.

God loves you more than Jim loves Micah!


“God, I thank you for showing me these past few days that you are FOR me, really FOR me. Without you there’s no way I could have ever handled this terrible disease. I’d have been swept away long ago. But because of your love, I’m thriving!”

mm





P.S. Yes! I got my new walker and it is wonderfully sturdy and helpful. "Guess who" took "guess who" for a ride on it? You guessed it! (smile)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this, Maralyn. I was going to ask you to help me remember what we talked about when I was with you guys. This article sums it up. I got to see the Micah / Ukki connection while I was there. It is truly amazing and inspiring, especially with the twist you put on it in this post. Thanks for reminding all of us that God is deeply and personally concerned and loving towards every one of us. I need this to sink into my deeply into my soul.

Love, Daniel

7:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi dear Maralyn!!!
This was amazing!! Yes, God is really full of love and He is in a good mood ;) !!!
Hope to talk with you soon!!
lots of love,
Saara
ps. check out the pictures of our blog :)

9:00 PM  
Blogger jeanne @ Inspiring Ideas said...

Wonderful lesson!

10:40 PM  
Blogger randi said...

Hi Maralyn!
So nice to "meet" you here and thanks again for your wonderful message.
I really liked the photo of Micah on the walker. Not only does Jim push him, but he also has his big feet just under Micah´s tiny feets..

Hugs, Randi

3:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Maralyn, it was so touching. Thank you! Father's love is amazing. I just want to be like Micah in His arms.
Love you, Olga-Maria

9:15 AM  
Blogger Dick and Carolyn said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Maralyn! Whenever I let myself really think about God being for me, it's almost overwhelming. I liked you pictures too, it's good to see my good buddy Jim, and of course, Micah.

You continue to be an inspiration!

Dick

8:17 PM  
Blogger JCsings4Him said...

Hello Maralyn! My name is Joann, you do not know me, my husband is the Senior Pastor at First Assembly in Union Grove; where your husband (and hopefully you) will be sharing in a couple of weeks. Our congregation is very excited.

I have been reading your blog for a little while now, and I just want to tell you how deeply your writing has touched me; and I am disappointed that when you all come, we will be gone. I am torn between the disappointment and the joy of celebrating our granddaughter's first birthday in Virginia.

Anyway...I just wanted to say I loved this blog, and am so happy to have "met" you!! Have a safe trip and I pray God's continual blessing on you and Jim!!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

Maralyn and Jim, I have meet you years ago at CLF. I heard what you are going through from a mutual friend, I have something to share with you that I feel is very important and I don't want to say the wrong thing, would you call this recoded story call it is 6 minutes long and see what you think, keep in mind this is just one person out of thousands. The number is 641-715-3900 Pin 36687# there is no one there you just listen. God Bless you both, Lori

6:45 PM  
Blogger thinker bell said...

A friend of mine told me about Maralyn and her blog. I was in Iso Kirja a few years before Maralyn so I never came to know her. But I'm happy she's home now. I am also priviledged getting encouraged by her blog. This text truly blessed me.

Riina

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home