Maralyn's Updates

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Waves of Grace

There’s a question that has been running through my mind for almost seven months. This surge of God’s grace that I have been feeling during this time—has that much grace been available my whole life and I just missed it? Or is it a special dispensation just for this hard time?

If you heard me speak at Valley Forge Christian College (October) or the Thanksgiving service at our home church (November) I told you that I was pondering this question. Well, in God’s grace, December’s topic in my Bible study was “Grace: God’s Provision for Every Need.”

My ears were open.

As I searched each scripture, I asked God to teach me.

As the writers of “Seeking Him” (Nancy Leigh DeMoss and Tim Grissom) so aptly pointed out, God’s grace is totally available to us, whether we need forgiveness of sin, or assistance with Christian maturity, or support when we are suffering.

Yes, I knew that. But why the surge now like never before? Was it God’s initiative or mine that caused this wave of grace?

I missed it the first time through the Bible study, and there were still question marks, so I went through the entire chapter again, examining every scripture, digesting every illustration, praying for God to show me. I had to know.

And then there it was…Eureka! How could I have missed it the first time through?

The necessary ingredient on my part was HUMILITY.

Scripture is clear. When I humble myself, and admit that I need God, his grace is there. Instantly. When I finally recognize how much I need him, he's very ready to send a flood of grace. Wow! So it's my initiative AND his!

***

“God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” James 4:6

“Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this [Paul’s thorn in the flesh], that it should leave me. But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” II Corinthians 12:8-9

““Humble yourself, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” I Peter 5:6-7

***

The writers of the study said it this way [referring to I Peter 5:6-7 above], “When we are humble, do you see where God places His hands? Above us to cover us and beneath us to carry us. Sometimes our humility comes via repentance from sin, and sometimes it comes through the pain of suffering. In either case, humility hails the presence of God, and He cups us in His hands. What better place to be?” p. 96.

Humility has been the necessary ingredient all along, but I have usually been too self-sufficient to REALLY need God. Before this disease, I could always plan, organize, orchestrate things and make them happen…pretty much on my own.

Then came the ALS diagnosis. Suddenly I was up against something over which I had no control. It drained me of self-sufficiency!

Now, after almost seven months of battling this disease, I’m amazed at how much more open I am to help…from God and from people. Physically, I’m getting along well, according to the doctor’s assessment, but I still have difficulty talking and walking. It’s been kind of naturally humbling--sometimes humiliating.

The amazing thing is that I don’t think I would have learned this pivotal lesson if I had been healthy and whole. I had to be really needy to see it.

And now I want to say something to my precious women friends at Espoo International Christian Fellowship in Finland, who are doing the same Bible study. Let’s not miss this life-changing lesson. Don't wait until you're sick to figure it out:

WHEN WE HUMBLE OURSELVES BEFORE GOD, HE'S VERY READY TO UNLEASH BIG WAVES OF GRACE!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maralyn,

Great entry! Your insight into grace encouraged me. We need God so much.

Love,

Daniel

3:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you again Maralyn, I check your blog often to see if you have added to it. I'm so blessed to read your words and hear AGAIN that God is faithful through EVERYTHING! Even providing true joy in a very difficult hardship. You are shining hope into many "hopeless" situations and blasting the darkness right out of the situation! You let your little light shine Maralyn, because God in our lives is magnifying it into a raging fire. Again, thank you. love Eerika, Iso Kirja Opisto from 2001-2004

10:12 AM  
Blogger jaschmiddy said...

Awesome post, Maralyn! Thank you for sharing from your heart and life's experience. What a blessing you are.

8:45 PM  
Blogger sister debbie from NH said...

Marvelous grace of our loving Lord...
grace that exceeds our guilt and our shame.....
grace that is greater than all our sin....
grace that will pardon and cleanse within.....
what would we do without His grace!!
Love,
Debbie

11:12 PM  
Blogger Dick and Carolyn said...

Hi Maralyn:
Great thoughts on grace! Never made the connection of grace and humility. Powerful.
What a neat time with you guys in Wisconsin. It will be a cherished memory.
Looks like Jim is really getting after the laundry room. Say hi!
How about those Packers?

Dick

12:30 PM  
Blogger Erna said...

Darling M,

do you KNOW how hard that particular chapter hit me?? I never thought I was proud!! I cried out aloud when reading it! Had never thought of depth of pride, or how self-sufficency is as much of a prideful attitude as anything else. After that lession I am convinced that pride is the ultimate sin, The Enemy Number One of God. I dont want to be His enemy - gotta make my way - and keep on making it! - to the other side, Humility, Humbleness. Though it is hard at times...that pride seems to get in the wa...!!! ;-))

Love you so,
Erna
Espoo International Christian Fellowship

5:24 PM  
Blogger B Barger said...

Aunt Maralyn,
Keep Going! I can hear hope as I read your blog, and I'm praying PS 91 over you. We hope to see you all sometime soon, and miss you a bunch!

Love,
Ben Barger

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home