Maralyn's Updates

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Consistent?...Me?

Throughout my adult life I’ve been “consistently inconsistent” in eating right and exercising. I've always started strong, then weakened and eventually faded away, kind of like my friend Carmen who said, “I exercise consistently---sometimes!” ☺

But this time I’m motivated. Really motivated.

Remember my December 13 appointment when the doctor said my body hadn’t changed in three months? (See entry “The Bark of Life.”) That same day I told him that my torso felt weak, and he said that wasn’t necessarily part of ALS. So, he wrote me a prescription to begin physical therapy.

My first appointment with Nancy was December 31. She tested my range of motion for my hamstrings, my balance, the flexibility of my heel cord, my core strength, and lots of other things. She gave me a set of exercises to do twice daily, and then she set up several appointments with her colleague, because the next day she was going on vacation. I didn’t know it, but she also set goals for me to reach while she was gone.

Yesterday I saw her again for the first time since her trip, and she was amazed. My body is rallying. I had made BIG improvements in all of those things.

The first day I could balance exactly one second on my right foot and zero seconds on my left foot. She hoped that after three weeks I’d be able to balance for five seconds on each foot. Yesterday I did it for 36 seconds on the right foot and 23 seconds on the left! Plus the hamstrings and heel cords and core strength were all much improved. There's another "post test" she will give me this coming Wednesday and I'll let you know how that goes.

Anyway, I walked away from the appointment “wowed”—smiling from ear to ear!

My God, who is the same “yesterday and today and forever” (Heb. 13:8), has been gracious once again to Miss Consistently Inconsistent Me.

But now? Consistent? You bet! I wouldn’t miss my exercise time. I exercise about 60 minutes in the morning and 45 minutes in the evening, and I’m eating so healthily it’s…disgusting. ☺

Thank you for praying for me. I’m feeling very good. God is definitely at work in my body.

mm

P.S. I still talk funny and walk funny, but hey! If this disease has stopped here…I can LIVE like this. ☺

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Maralyn
I really praise the Lord when I read your message because I have seen God is so powerful in your life. I hope that you will be better and start to serve the Lord again.
With Love
Manop and family

10:35 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Dear Aunt Marilyn,
words cannot describe how inspirational you are to me and many others that read your blog. I thank God for your wisdom, strength and courage. You are hand picked by God. I pray God will continue to heal your body.
Love Always,
Karen

8:03 AM  
Blogger Ladonna said...

Maralyn,

I praise God with you and your good news. You have been on my heart a lot lately and I am so glad to read about what God is doing in your body and life.

Continue to exercise and rest in Him as He continues to heal your body.

Blessings on you and Jim,
Ladonna P

10:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank God for what He is doing. We're praying daily for your complete healing. WE WILL NOT STOP UNTIL YOU ARE COMPLETELY HEALED!!

Ron T
Shawano AG

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home