Maralyn's Updates

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Who Could Have Ever Imagined?

I never intended to write a cookbook. I was only going to type up my boys’ favorite recipes when they left for college. The first “edition” was just a spiral-bound set of photocopies, but the boys kept calling home saying that another of their friends wanted a copy, so I just kept making more sets.

When I turned 50 I decided to make a fancier version of the book for some of my friends to thank them for their friendship over the years. That book was called Annie’s Best, and my friend Jeanne, a talented graphic artist, volunteered to design a cute cover and divider pages. The week of my birthday I was speaking on hospitality at a convention, so I had 600 copies of the book printed, and they had all sold in 10 weeks!

Five years later, by popular demand, I decided to publish a revised and expanded edition called Around the World with Annie. By then I had collected 200 new recipes, and I had also lived and taught in Europe for 16 years and had collected lots of delicious recipes from my international students. I had also written several stories about our international food experiences—funny stories—and these became the section dividers of my new book.

With 554 recipes and 10 fun stories, this book has been immensely popular. I’ve had many people tell me that it’s their favorite cookbook ever! They tell me they like it because every recipe is tried and tested. They also say that they love reading the small things I’ve written about the recipes…where I got them…how I use them.

Who could have ever imagined?

Last June when my ALS diagnosis invaded our lives, I decided to do a blog so I wouldn’t have to answer so many e-mails. I knew there would be people who would want to know what was going on, but they wouldn’t want to “bother” us. So, I began my blog. A side benefit has been that the blog is helping me synthesize the things that are happening in my mind. It has been therapeutical to write these 31 entries. But now you're telling me that it's helping you, too! Amazing!

Believe it or not, this blog site has about 1800 hits a month, averaging about 50 a day. You, my readers, are from 33 countries, and there are new readers almost every day. Many of you I’ve never met, but God is using this whole situation for the benefit of many.

Who could have ever imagined?

This week I passed the eight-month marker since my diagnosis. That day when the doctor said that I probably had 12-18 months to live, I thought ahead to spring, wondering what condition I’d be in by then.

Would I still be able to walk?
Would I still be able to talk?

Well...last weekend we celebrated our oldest grandchild Reuben’s fifth birthday, and I could not only walk and talk, but I could also cruise on the tube with our son David, and two of his little guys—the birthday boy (on my lap) and his 3 year old brother, Levi.


Who could have ever imagined?

“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen!” (Ephesians 3:20-21)

mm

P.S. If you’d like to contact me for any reason, just post a comment on my blog and give me your e-mail address, then I’ll write to you. It you’re someone I’ve never met, it would be fun to hear how you learned about my site. Yes, I do have extra cookbooks. If you're interested you can order one by writing to this address: annies_recipes@yahoo.com.

13 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Looking forward to seeing your blog everyday!

Love you !

2:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog again! I just read Rom. 8:28 this morning and thought about you, "And we know that in things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." We do love him and we have been called. We serve an awesome God!

I love you!

5:59 AM  
Blogger MAgramy said...

Hi Maralyn, My name is Mary Ann Goes. I am a secretary at Riverside Assembly of God in Methuen, Mass. There is someone in our church who knows you through family members, her name is Ruth Huntley. I know that she does not have a computer so I print your updates and give them to her when she comes to church. She really enjoys getting them, but has a difficult time reading the words because of the dark back ground on your site. Not sure if anything can be done about that.
Here at Riverside we are committed to praying for you and all our missionaries. Check out our site at riversideag.com. Your blogs have been an encouragement to many. Keep them coming.
It seems to me that your next book may be from this blog. Have you ever seen the movie "Anne of Green Gables" she was a writer and spent most of her life trying to write stories. She found that the greatest novels were her lifes experiences through the winds of percecutions as she put it. Any way thank you again for your words.
Love in Jesus
Mary Ann

8:17 AM  
Blogger Annika said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Annika said...

MARALYN!! It's Annika (the Finn-Canadian girl you met in Finland :) i have been meaning to write you FOREVER! i have been faithfully keeping up with your blog entries ever since my sister told me about the news and your blog. And you have been in my thoughts and prayers constantly. Actually, my sister and I now race to see who will find your newest blog entry first ( :)haha, good ol sibling competition)... and you come up regularly in our conversations- your blogs have been a HUGE inspiration to both of us... and to have got to know you over our years in Finland (and to find the neat connection with the Stumps!) has just added riches to the meaning of your words and thoughts. I'll stop here before I fill up your entire site with my comments :). But I just wanted to say that my sister and i both LOVE YOU VERY MUCH and APPRECIATE SO MUCH you and the impact you've had and still have on our lives! I'd love to chat more if you get a chance to email sometime! my email is annika@plunge.ca. Take care and please say hello to Jim and give him a big hug from me!!! Love, Annika

9:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Maralyn:

What a life's journey God's given you. A few weeks ago, I googled your name to see "if by chance" you had a blog. I'm so glad you do.

When David told me last summer about your diagnosis, my response to him was, "no, this is not going to happen". From my mouth to God's ears I pray.

As you know, 10 years ago God put David in my heart to pray for - and there were some amazing stories of when my burden for him was at a time he needed God's intervention. That's the first time I had ever experienced first hand, what intercessory prayer would do. I was so humbled by God allowing me to be David's "prayer warrior".

I said all that to say, the minute I said "No, this is not going to happen", God put that same "prayer warrior" mantle on me for your total healing.

I know from reading all the comments that I'm not the only one who has this burden. You and Jim have been such a blessing to so many people around the world. You were "just doing your job" but what a job you have done.

I never could have dreamed when we were little girls together way out in the panhandle of Oklahoma, that 50 plus years later, you would have a need for "prayer warriors" and that God would allow me to be one. I loved your Grandma too.

When you have time, please e-mail me at denise@carriganassociates.com. I know you can spend all your time e-mailing, but with your e-mail address I can send thoughts God lays on my heart for you.

I can not even imagine the struggles you have gone through the past year, but then "who could have ever imagined" the entire life journey God had for you. You are SO blessing people with your openess in sharing your deepest feelings. I've read all your blogs and am amazed at each one and how God has led your thoughts for all of us to read.

I promise I will not fail to keep my place in the circle of prayer warriors from all over the world who are praying for you, Jim and your beautiful sons and their families.

12:31 AM  
Blogger polkadot papoose said...

Maralyn,

You look so adorable in that picture! I love seeing your beautiful smile.

Love,
Tara

7:44 AM  
Blogger Kimbuckman said...

Maralyn and Jim
I have been reading your blogs, but thisis the first response. You have poured so much into my life as a teenager, who would have thought you would take a 30 year break and start pouring so much in again. Your investment is continuing to produce a harvest in my life and the lives of those around me. Thank you for your faithfulness to the call of God.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Tiffany Cooper said...

Sweet Maralyn!!!
While laying in bed last week I though of you. Although our time together was short, you and Jim found a sweet place in my heart. I googled your name and was thrilled to find your blog! While my heart dropped to read of your diagnosis I was inspired to read your accounts of how it has impacted your life...your faith is encouraging. I love how fluidly you write and express your heart.

A lot has happened since I met you 18 years ago. I graduated college with an Education degree and taught until I had my first child. Herbert and I have been married for 10 years and have 3 precious kiddos, one more due in July. We planted a church in OKC almost 6 years ago with a strong burden to reach unchurched people. I can't imagine a more fulfilling life.

Grandma and Grandpa Fraley are still active and healthy and sweet as always. I wish I could see them more often, I usually see them once a year. They now live in Cold Spring, Minnesota where my aunt and uncle also live.

That's the quick update, I don't want to take up too much space.
I can't help but smile when I see your family pics and see your contagious smile! I love you!
Know that I am praying for you. Please say hello to your sweet Jim for me.

Tiffany Cooper
tmc8577@aol.com

2:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Maralyn.
I wrote too many lines to publish it here. My email is larylaunonen@hotmail.com
I'd just like to tell you sthng.

-Lari (with the dreads) from Iso Kirja

1:30 PM  
Blogger Mikko&Susanna said...

I´m happy to see and read that you´re happy!

Love, susanna (& mikko, onni and noomi)

2:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Maralyn,

Each entry in the blog is like a new lesson :) U look really nice in the picture with grand kids..

Love & hugs
Nupur

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog makes me feel your love again and again. You are such a blessing and such a wonderful person. I kept watching your videos on youtube: it was a great idea to put them there because we all miss you so much :-)
Love you,
Maria Pakkala

3:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home