Maralyn's Updates

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Dark Room--Dancing Fire

Last night Jim and I just savored the moment. The only light on in the house was the flickering fire, and as we sat there on the couch in front of our Finnish fireplace we talked about our difficult week, but mostly we rejoiced in the bright sparks along the way.

First a flashback to the darkness…then the light.

Last Tuesday morning when I wrote my blog, I couldn’t have imagined how hard the coming week was going to be. It started that night when my acid reflux came back with a vengeance. I thought my dietary changes had made it unnecessary to take my daily Prilosec, but I was wrong. The stomach acid fried my vocal cords and Wednesday I could barely speak. Wednesday night I was able to fulfill my commitment to visit a ladies’ Bible study in my new neighborhood, and talk about going through trials and tribulations; they are studying in the book of James. I loved meeting those ladies and it was fun finding connections to the students Jim and I had taught in this community 1969-1984. My voice could barely croak, but anyway they seemed to want to hear what I had to say.

Thursday my voice was still scratchy. Friday it began to come back. Saturday I was supposed to participate in a ladies day at our church, presenting part of a workshop on hospitality. I had scripted my part of the talk just in case my voice wouldn’t cooperate and Leata would need to read it for me.

Saturday morning, just before I was ready to leave for church, my heartbeat became irregular. That’s not so unusual because since the fall of 2005, when my Atrial Fibrillation was first diagnosed, I have had some revisitations of the irregular beat. However, they’ve always been easily correctable with a pill called a beta blocker, so I wasn’t worried. I had the pills in my purse and had determined to take one when I got to the church. However, just down the street I felt dizzy and funny, so I turned around and went back home and lay down. I hated calling Leata to say that she was going to have to present the whole workshop alone.

I tried to rest, but when my breathing became labored, Jim suggested that we go to the Emergency Room. Once there, I was attached to an IV, and all kinds of beepers and monitors. Within a few minutes, the decision was made to admit me to the hospital, where I remained for the next two days. My heartbeat did regulate after six hours, but it went out of rhythm again for about 45 minutes the next morning. The attending physician recommended that I talk to the cardiologist on Monday morning before going home. The doctor was a visiting physician coming from Marshfield Clinic, where my neurologist is. After examining my records and asking me some questions, he prescribed a daily beta blocker, a different one that I had been taking for my occasional episodes, and a blood thinner to reduce the risk of strokes that can accompany Atrial Fibrillation.

Monday afternoon Jim brought me back, and home never looked so good!

Throughout the week I had several times of frustration and despair. “Why me? Why this, too? God, I didn’t need THIS and THIS on top of THAT!” I complained.

I don’t know whether I was more like King David in one of his lament Psalms, or Elijah under the broom tree (I Kings 19), or Job when he complained to God about his multiple trials.

In the hospital I did read through the whole book of Job! I thought I was going to have a lot in common with him, but I found out that by comparison, I have NO problems at all. For instance, Jim hasn’t been behaving at all like Job’s wife who said, “Just curse God and die!” But Jim’s supportive love has been only one of many bright spots throughout the week, and last night as we basked in the warmth of the fire, we also reveled in the ways God showed his goodness throughout the week.

In brief:

--On the way to the ER, as I was struggling to breathe, I prayed that our friend Chuck Conger would be the physician on duty that day…and as we wheeled around the corner into the room, there he was! (Thank you, God! I thought.)

--Then once I was admitted, I found out that one of my nurses in the critical care unit was Erica who had been a grade school classmate of our son, Paul. She remembered coming to our house for a birthday party. I smiled when she reminded me that the theme of the party was “The Purple Cow”—a take-off on the well-known children’s poem by the same name. I hadn’t seen her since she was eight years old.

--It was somehow comforting to be back in the hospital where I had given birth to our two sons (1972 & 1973), and I was amazed and delighted at the quality of care I received. Wow!

--In the process of the multiple tests, injections, and exams that I had over the two days, we found out that my lungs were clear, my heart muscle was healthy, and that my cholesterol had dropped 96 points in only two months (from 294 to 198!) The Triglycerides, HDL and LDL were all within the normal range. That hasn’t been true for a long time! (I’m in a family where almost nobody’s cholesterol is normal!) The healthy diet, the vitamin supplement, the exercise, the flaxseed, the oatmeal, it probably all played a role, but it was neat how God arranged for us to find out early—long before a normal check-up would have revealed it. It was so encouraging to know that the regimen is working!

--The cardiologist was open and friendly, and we found out later he is highly respected in his field. What amazed us is how openly he declared that our lives are in the hands of God and that he can be trusted. Wow! He also told us that in his opinion, my neurologist is the best in the state of Wisconsin. When he left the room, we looked at each other and said, “That was a God thing!”

--When he left, I was soon released to go home. Finally, the hospital drama was over and I was unhooked from the IV, the heart monitors, the hospital bed, and most happily the salt-free food that was dictated for every patient in critical care. Yuk!

--We stopped by the pharmacy to pick up my new prescriptions and while Jim was inside, I dialed in one of our local Christian radio stations. In God’s perfect timing, there was Beth Moore telling me that God has my best at heart…now and always.

--After we pulled into our driveway, Jim got the mail from our box and there was a little package from my friend Karen who is wintering in Florida. She sent me Scott Abbott’s CD “Palm of Your Hand.” Wow, what a song!

--Then, I went to my own bed and enjoyed a nice long nap not connected to a thousand wires. Sweetness. (I think you have to be without something before you can really appreciate it!)

--When I awoke, Jim said that Dean and Leata had called and they were coming with supper. We would all eat together. Don’t you love the body of Christ? Sitting by the fire after they went home we talked about the blessing of our 27-year friendship with them.

--In the evening, I pulled out my book Diamonds in the Dust, by Joni Eareckson Tada. The reading for March 3 couldn’t have been more perfect. Joni described the Maryland farm where she was raised, saying that the path from the county road to their front door was a straight one, but that when the rain had made it muddy, it was anything but easy. She quoted Proverbs 3:5-6 then in the prayer at the end wrote, “…I acknowledge today that I am not promised an easy path, just a straight one if I trust entirely in You. Lord with every pothole, rut, or barrier I may come across, help me to remember to lean on You.” My heart resonated with her words. By the way, I want to say a big thank you to my dear friend Grace for sending me Joni’s book. Your physical challenges and mine cause us both to identify with much of Joni’s perspective on life. You were right. I love this daily devotional!

--And this is sweet! When I got home I found a bouquet of fresh flowers on the table from the ladies at the Bible study I had visited last Wednesday. Thank you to Kathy, Brook, Tanya, Jen, Tracy, Wendy, NorAnne, Michelle, and Kristen. Your gift was God’s exclamation mark that he is my light in the darkness. Last week at this time I hadn’t even met most of you, but now I can’t wait to someday host you in my home.





So! That’s my story. It was a tough week, but there were beams of God’s light everywhere.

“Lord, please help me to remember to focus on the light…not the darkness.”

mm

10 Comments:

Blogger Terhi said...

Thank you for sharing your week! It's so amazing how many positive things you could find!! Our God is so good! You will be in my prayers! With love Terhi

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the bright places and the dark places. You are teaching me, and all of us who read this, how a real Christian suffers. What you are really teaching us how to do is live. I love you. You are one of my heroes.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Gloria said...

Hello Maralyn,

You don't know me. My name is Gloria and I attend Bethel AOG in Minneapolis, Minnesota. I heard about you just last night and knew right away I needed to contact you.

God has me writing a book of 'Miracles Rememberd' for our church, and is due to be published early in 2009.

I would like you to consider writing a forward for our book. You would be perfect for it, because you have the attitude of Christ while in the midst of dire adversity.

I know miracles are not always healings and deliverances. The greatest miracle in my life is the presence of God. The goal for this book is to give him the glory for all the little miracles that seemily go unnoticed. You have daily miracles and you recognize them.

If this is too much for you to consider, I will understand. And please forgive my forwardness. I just jump when ever God gives me an idea.

A friend of God,
Gloria

12:37 PM  
Blogger Maralyn said...

Gloria,

That's a very interesting proposal. Let's talk through e-mail. Could you give me your e-mail address, please? Thanks.

Maralyn

1:48 PM  
Blogger Gloria said...

Hello Maralyn,

My e-mail =
gloria55421@peoplepc.com

I just found out that you and your husband are one of the missionaries Bethel supports...I didn't know that when I made the request.

A friend of God,
Gloria
......any day now.....Jesus will be here!

5:38 PM  
Blogger Mikko&Susanna said...

Warm hugs to Maralyn and Jim.
-Susanna & Mikko

3:17 PM  
Blogger heckman said...

daily strength from God through you! Thank you for being His mighty servant!

9:56 AM  
Blogger Gloria said...

You're in my prayers daily.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Don & Terry said...

Dear Maralyn,
Hello!
I am sorry that I missed you at the missions lunch in Waupaca this past Monday. But I am really glad that you saw Jenny again -- after almost 15 years! I remember you peeking in to the nursery at Portview while Jim was speaking in the service way back when. Anyway, my thoughts and prayers are with you!
I love You,
Terry

4:58 PM  
Blogger PePi said...

Maralyn, I just love reading your posts, it is so encouraging! You have eyes that see the Lord - always and everywhere.

Hugs!!
-PetRa-

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home